Monday, October 31, 2011

Meta-Trader - What's wrong with AT4?

Welcome back Meta-Traders and Happy Halloween!

For a Halloweeen Trick or Treat, let's take a look at my under performing account Atinalla #4.

In order to achieve my annual profit target of 30-60% per year, every account in the portfolio must be operating in top form. And we have a related mystery on our hands with my Atinalla #4 Portfolio from Asirikuy. Based on historical simulations, this account is supposed to return an average of nearly 75% with an average draw down of about 16% However, the link above shows that my account is down -7.26% for the year. What’s the deal?

First of all, we know this is a bad performance by way of comparison. Asirikuy has a total of 7 live accounts running Atinalla #4. Each and every one of them is up at least 20% with the best of them (set to double risk) being up almost 60%! There’s even an instance running FXDD with 1:50 leverage, just like mine. So what gives Meta-Traders?

Peeling back the candy wrapper, I found these facts:

I started trading Atinalla #4 in this account on 1/21/2011. Prior to that, I was running the “Live Twin Scalpers” (Megadroid and Swissie Scalper) in this account. If I filter the account from 1/1/2011 to 1/21/2011 using Myfxbook, I can see the Twin Scalpers lost -2.36% or about -$44 in that 21-day period. I noticed that Myfxbook seems have duplicated each trade (both winning and losing) between 1/21/2011 and 2/18/2011.

Once I noticed that, I took a look at the FXDD Report viewer, a web site provided by the broker for this purpose. According to FXDD, the Twin Scalpers actually lost the same amount, -2.3% or about $44. This means that Myfxbook was reporting the percentages properly, and the duplication of trades was just a display problem.

Then I filtered the account using Myfxbook starting on 1/21/2011 to the present and found the account is down -6.17%. However when I view the same period with the FXDD account viewer, it indicates the P&L is only -$17.28 which is only 9/10’s of 1% or 0.009. Who is correct here? It’s hard to say, so I filtered the account using the FXDD viewer for the entire year, and found I’m down only $62 or about -3.2% of the original cash in the account of $1904!

Another possible conclusion is that FXDD is using a larger starting balance than FXDD for the same period. This is possible since I deposited money into this account and disbursed to my other account from here. If so, this would appear to be a bug in FXDD since it should consider the balances only for the period in question.

Conclusion #1

Myfxbook has some reporting distortions, and I’m not down -7.26%, I’m actually down -3.2%.

Part of that could be due to the fact that FXDD performs a back office netting operation which allows the trader to avoid NFA-imposed restrictions related to FIFO and Hedging. So reporting is clearly part of the problem, but clearly not the whole problem since I’m still losing money.

Conclusion #2

Part of the loss in this account was incurred before I starting trading Atinalla #4 in this account.

What about the performance of Atinalla #4 for the first 21-day period when I was not trading it? How much profit did I miss during that 21 day period?

According to 3 of the instances on Asirikuy, I lost out on between 8% and 24% of yearly profits during that short time period! This makes sense since I’ve found that the Forex market tends to make big moves the first week or 2 of the trading year. I’ll do more research on that and perhaps write a separate post later in the year backed by some statistics.

Conclusion #3

I missed out on a minimum of 10% profit for the year by not trading Atinalla #4 in the 21-day period from 1/1/2011 through 1/21/2011.

What about the rest of the trading year? What can we gather from the data regarding that period?

Taking a deeper dive, I took a look at the performance of each individual system. Daniel’s systems make this easy since the text printed along the upper left of each expert screen shows the P&L for each individual system. Look at each instance (currency pair plus expert) 5 of the 8 instances were profitable. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 losing instances lost more than any of the other systems putting the account into the red overall.

Here’s where it starts to get interesting. Of the 8 systems instances on Atinalla #4, I am trading 4 of them in other portfolios and for 2 of the 4 with the same broker. This allows for a head to head comparison between the 2 instances. What did that comparison show?

Unfortunately, this thread didn’t pan out for comparison purposes as cleanly as I wanted because the balances earned on the Atinalla #1 portfolio were reset, and the profits shown were not since the beginning of the year, rather since the last balance reset. However it was useful in one regard – I noticed the instance running Watukushay #5 (aka Atipaq) against USD/CHF didn’t seem to be placing its daily limit orders to buy above and sell below the market.

The Atipaq – USD/CHF instance is important since its one of the best performing instances. I checked Atipaq / USDCHF on my “Atipaq Full Portfolio” and it has returned $365 since it started, but the same instance in my AT4 account has only returned $66!

So I took a look at the expert screen and sure enough, it was not creating daily orders at on a regular basis like the one that runs as part of “Atipaq Full Portfolio”.

Conclusion #4

My Atipaq – USD/CHF instance as part of my Atinalla #4 Portfolio is screwed up.

Meta-Trader creates 2 sets of logs as follows:

- General Meta-Trader messages under MetaTrader folder\Logs

- Expert-specific messages under MetaTrade Folder\Experts\Logs

Looking at the General logs, I found nothing but an occasional failure with uploads to MyFxBook.
Looking at the Experts\Logs, I hit pay dirt as follows:

20:58:35 stdlib USDCHF,H1: loaded successfully
20:58:35 WATUKUSHAY_NO5 USDCHF,H1: Error info: 3 description: invalid trade parameters
20:58:36 WATUKUSHAY_NO5 USDCHF,H1: openSellOrder-OrderSend: instrument: USDCHF order size: 0.04 open price: 0.8585 slippage: 30 stop loss: 0.8631 take profit: 0.8512
20:58:36 WATUKUSHAY_NO5 USDCHF,H1: Error info: 3 description: invalid trade parameters


Okay so what's the cause of this error? I look a look and the only thing that strikes me as strange is that the pricing is 4 digits, but its a 5 digit broker. The other trades for this broker show all 5 digits.

Is that the the answer? Check back later to find out and enjoy your day!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    Thank you for posting this :o) Please check the email I sent you as these errors are caused by a bug in build 406 which appears only when updating from a previous version. Reinstall your MT4 platform from your broker's website and you should be set. Keep up the great work :o)

    Best Regards,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel-

    Thanks very much for the quick reply, I appreciate it! I'll give this solution and try and we should have some results by the weekend.

    Take care,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to me recently. I was getting errors:
    Error info: 3 description: invalid trade parameters
    I could not figure out what was going on. So I backed up my Atipaq EA's and clock library, then re-installed Alpari and set it all back up again. It started making the trades again. Unfortunately, by the time I got to it I had missed some good trades made. :(

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. JT-

    Yes - as a result I missed a trade with Atipaq USD/CHF that setup early this AM in the Atinalla #4 Portfolio. Fortunately, I took those same trades it the Atipaq Full Portfolio and Atinalla #3 portfolios, so that was a plus.

    On the bright side, my AT4 portfolio is now fixed, so it should be trading properly going forward. Plus, I'm going going to add some more funds which may help to improve diversification granularity - something I mean to touch on in the post, but ran out of time and energy. More to come on that.

    Take care and thanks for reading,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. ForexTrendy is an advanced application capable of finding the most reliable continuation chart patterns. It scans through all the forex pairs, on all time frames and analyzes every possible breakout.

    ReplyDelete