Saturday, September 25, 2010

Q-Diamond Revealed!

Welcome back Meta-Traders.

After about 2 months of demo, back-testing and evaluation, I’m ready to reveal that System-Q is from http://www.qdiamondsystems.com/. I want to mention that I have no affiliate relationship with the vendor and my only interest here is sharing the results of my research with my blog readers.

The vendor sells 3 systems, Q-diamond 100 which trades the EUR/USD, Q-diamond FX II which trades GBP/USD and Q-Aussie FX which trades AUD/USD. All systems trade the given pair on a 5-minute chart. The vendor is currently asking $249 for the EUR/USD system, $179 for the GBP/USD system and $219 for the Aussie system. You can get a free one-month evaluation copy of any of the systems by visiting the vendor web site. Failing that, you can e-mail the vendor at qdiamond.ea@gmail.com. You also get a discount on the other systems after you pay full price for one of them.

The account statements on the vendor’s web page are misleading since they don’t show any drawdown whatsoever. The systems definitely will drawdown, more on that below.

What about performance? In back and forward testing, the EUR/USD and AUD/USD systems return about 6-12% per month. The systems are also capable of some nasty drawdown, and when things go bad, the system can drawdown about 30% in a very short time. Also, the systems are very spread sensitive, and in some back-tests with an accidentally high spread, the system lost and much as 80% on the AUD/USD and wiped an account on the EUR/USD. The system does have a spread protection feature, which when activated will not trade when the spread is wider than 5 pips.

You can setup the systems to run with a conservative, moderate or aggressive risk levels or anywhere in between as follows. The system will take up to a maximum of 5 positions and you set the size for each position. Since I like to start with a $1000 account, I set my starting lot size to 0.05 for moderate risk. Thus, the system will trade up to 0.25 of a full lot. The system can be long and short the same pair, so is not compliant with NFA rules.

A description of the system logic was provided by the vendor as follows. The EUR and AUD systems are trend followers which wait for a trend to develop then trade in the direction of the trend after a retracement. The default TP is 20 pips but can be larger in a more volatile market. If the price moves against the initial trade, another trade is put on in the same direction, and the TP and SL are adjusted to a single value making it “easier” to reach the TP. Under some circumstances, the system will close a losing trade and open a position in the other direction and follow the original logic.

In terms of stop losses, the system uses an SL of 135 pips. To calculate your drawdown, take the position size, times 5, times the 135 pips. In my case, max position size is 0.05 times 5 = 0.25 which comes to $2.50 per pip times 135 pips equals $337.5 or about 30% of my $1000 starting account size. The vendor estimates the system will draw down on average 1-2 times per year and recover in 3 months or less.

In my demo testing, I started trading Q-Diamond 100 back on 7/27/2010. It quickly gained 5% then went into drawdown, losing about 30% of its value. It has been climbing back since and as if this writing is down about is down about 6%. Q-Aussie is up 8% since starting it on August 31, 2010. I lost about a week of trading when the demo ran out, but is running again now.

One annoying thing about these EA’s is that when traded live, the compiled ex4 file must be coded and compiled to work against a specific account. You need to e-mail the account number to the vendor, and he will compile the EA and sent it back to you. This is going to make any updates to the system difficult to distribute. On a positive note, this along with the conservative marketing practices of the vendor will hopefully prevent the system from being over hyped and over used.

I’m a pretty conservative guy and normally I would not consider trading a system where I can lose 30% of my money in a short time. But these systems are such consistent money makers that some alternate tactics may be in order to succeed here. Here’s what I’m thinking.

Start with a small amount of money (say $1000 per account) and slowly decrease the risk as the account grows. Another tactic is to withdraw the profits and keep trading the original amount. Sure, you could lose the entire account in drawdown, but changes are pretty good that after a year or 2, you will have made the entire principle and then some.

The system will grow the lot size proportional to the equity through a variable called Growth Management which is set to True by default. Another tactic is to set Growth Management to False so the system will trade a smaller portion of the equity as the balance grows. Some of the back-tests (including one one shown in the graphic above) have GrowthManagement set to false and that option seems to provide the smoothest equity curves with risk greater in the early going and then slowly decrease risk as the account grows.

The vendor suggests trading all 3 systems on one account with default (moderate) settings. Under that scenario, the account should earn about 18% to 36% per month or about 1500% per year assuming no drawdown. When it does drawdown, the system should recover in about one month. That might be a little aggressive for my taste, but does have a decent chance of turning $1000 into $10,000 in one year’s time.

I uploaded a whole bunch of back-testing statements to my Yahoo group at FX-Mon Yahoo Group. Please join the group if you want a copy of the files and the other stuff up there. The back-tests only go back as far as 2005 since the system will not place any trades prior to then.

My plan is to start trading the EUR/USD systems and AUD/USD systems live later this year. Stay tuned to see how it turns out.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,

    Thank you for the update :o) You are placing way too much faith on a 5 minute time frame backtest. The contribution of one minute interpolation errors to the 5 minute bars is very high so this simulations are NOT reliable. I generally find systems like this overestimate draw down by a factor of 3 or 4. I would encourage you to save your demo results and run back/demo testing consistency analysis.

    Of course I know I will never convince you to avoid using this very risky systems based on simulations which are probably very unreliable but I encourage you to perform consistency analysis and see for yourself how profitability is overestimated and draw down is underestimated.

    Of course I wish you the best of luck and I hope you don't get a wipeout due to the systems' inherent risk :o) Keep up the great work Chris,

    Best Regards,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel-

    Thanks for the comments.

    I understand about the limitations of the back-tests. So far the forward tests in demo seem to be consistent with what i've seen in back testing in terms of monthly gains and the degree of drawdown. Granted 2 months is not a lot of time.

    I did not do a detailed trade-by-trade comparison since the demo testing was done on Forex.com and the backtests were done on Alpari. But the drawdown and profit numbers look relatively consistent so far. Also, i'm still having trouble getting the spread fixing script to work. I followed the directions in the video exactly, and i'm still finding the spread getting written somewhere else other than symbols.sel file.

    I understand that you are frustrated that you keep making the same points and I keep reaching the same potentially faulty conclusions. But sometimes you just need to figure things out for yourself rather than taking someone else's word for it. Especially in Forex where i'm not exactly sure what's acheivable and what is not. Some people have made serious money in Forex, and if you don't believe its possible, then you won't even try and certainly will never get there. This system might blow an account but if the pair of systems traded on one account can truly return 12-24% per month, it still might make sense to trade it depending on how often it draws down. I'll find out first hand with real money, keeping the $ amounts reasonable of course.

    Finally, i'm really impressed with the stuff going on over at Asirikuy. Based on the way your individual systems trade, I wasn't very enthusiastic about trading any one of them on a live account. But as a portfolio, they really start to click and Atinalla #1 being tracked here is a great example.

    I'm expecting that about 60-70% of my live funds going forward are going to be traded using your portfolio systems with Q-Diamond and the Scalpers only being at most 10-20% of live funds.

    Keep up the great work youself, buddy!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    Thanks for your reply :o) I certainly agree with your comment and I do think - as you do - that people need to discover things on their own. I am also glad that you are having similar targets in live trading and in simulations. Of course I am very reluctant to trade a system like this -reason why I never do - in part because from all the profitable professional traders I know none of them uses systems with such large and unfavorable risk to reward ratios. Also - from the ones who profit from mechanical strategies - none of them uses anything with such a low TP target.

    This does not prove that it is not possible to do so, just that it is improbable. Of course I am always glad to be proved wrong and definitely if you achieve some good results with these system in the longer term I will be more keen to look into this :o). As you may have already seen I am a very conservative trader and therefore I am all about evidence of longer term profitability.

    Sure, I do not intend to discourage you but to share my concerns about these type of strategies (I apologize if I have done so excessively :o) ) and I do watch your results with interest and the way in which you evolve in your journey towards long term profitability :o)

    I am very proud that you intend to use Asirikuy systems to manage your portfolio to such a large extent and I definitely hope that they will be a large part of your success in forex trading. As always Asirikuy keeps evolving and we as a community will keep on developing strategies to ensure that we get long term profitability :o) It is great to have you as a member !

    Thanks again for the reply Chris,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the prior comment, posted as my wife accidentally...

    Daniel-

    Thanks again for the comments and kind words.

    To my other blog readers-

    I apologize that the account statements for Atinalla #1, and Q-Diamond 100 are coming up empty. In both cases, the demo accounts expired and it seems the MT4Stats site is out of capacity since i'm getting failure messages in the Meta-Trader Journal Tab.

    If they don't resolve this is the next few days, i'm going to switch over to MyFxBook - a move Daniel suggested a few months back.

    Check back in a few days for for a review of Watukushay #2 from Asirkuy. Take care all..

    ReplyDelete