Friday, February 7, 2014

Active Trader - Voodoo Clues - Part 3

Welcome back Active Traders and Wealth Builders.

It was truly an amazing week, not because I made a pile of cash in the markets although I did okay.  The real reason is that after 25+ years of looking at the markets, I see prices in a completely new light now that I know how to calculate the Voodoo lines.

Recall from last week's post Voodoo Clues - Part Two, that I found a video which explains the logic of the Voodoo lines. We got as far as calculating the red lines and ran out of time. In this post, we're going to wrap it up and show some examples about how truly amazing a discovery this really is.

Note that when you draw the red lines, it divides the prices up into 4 unevenly sized regions.  These red lines are called the "fire" lines and are the most significant areas of support and resistance on the chart.

As for an example, check out the way prices first paused at the 281.1% line at 1102 and pulled back.  Later, note how this area, once breached became an area of support which has since contained prices on the downside.  And note how prices are now camped out just below the treeline at 1200 and once they break $1200, the next target is ....  $1261.  How that's for predicting the future?

At first I had a hard time drawing the lines.  But after a little bit of practice, it comes very easy.  Whenever I see a chart on Simpler Options video, I pause the video and make note of where the red lines are.  With as little information as a single red line (and a rudimentary knowledge of Elliot Wave) I can find Wave 1 and everything else is mechanical from there.

Using Thinkorswim charting to draw the lines is a snap. Simply select the top to bottom of Wave 1, then hide all but the 0%, 100%, 161.8%, 2.618% and 423.6% lines.  The graphic on the right shows the configuration for the fire lines.

The next step is to further subdivide the 4 regions between the red lines at the 0.382 and the 0.618 lines.  Those are the green lines which JC calls the "tree" lines. Now sub-divide those regions once again at the 0.382 and 0.618 levels and color them white to get what Carter calls the "snow" lines.

Within a day or 2, I calculated the Voodoo lines on most of the popular charts I look at.  This was very exciting stuff.  Not only did I save the $995 to buy the Voodoo lines indicator, I saved $50 a month in on going maintenance charges for the rest of my trading life!  Now you can understand why I don't like to spend money on indicators!

Using my new found knowledge, I did swing trades in AZO and NFLX on their breakouts to new all-time highs.  Unlike the past, I knew in advance when to take profits!

Here's another one of my favorites, Facebook.  I'm loaded up long.  Use this information to you own benefit and have a great weekend.






13 comments:

  1. very interesting study. are you also able to provide with the data you are estimating for 0% and 100%.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marco and thanks for the comment.

    The 0% and 100% lines correspond with bottom (0%) and the top (100%) of Elliot Wave 1. The bottom of Wave 1 is typically the lowest low on the chart. In the case of Facebook, the low was made on 9/3/2012 and the top of wave 1 was made on 2/1/2013 at 32.46.

    Future support and resistance levels are simple Fibonacci harmonics of that original move. To see in action, note how FB paused short of the "Tree Line" at 71.6 this past week which is the 0.68 level of the "Fire Lines" at 56.56 and 80.89. Use these levels to your advantage and thanks again for the comment,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post. Do you mind posting some other examples? Still trying to soak up the knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Franklin -
    Thanks for the comment and will do,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    Would you be able to share the VooDoo lines you discovered for the stocks that you play?
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter-

    Thanks for the question. I watch a lot of stocks and have calculated the Voodoo lines for maybe 15 or 20 of them.
    Let me know if you have any requests and i'll do my best to post those. If I don't hear from you, I'll do a post of some of the usual suspects,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chris. I am a little late to the party. I would truly appreciate know the low and wave one for a few stocks if you are still available.
      Thank you very much.
      Harry

      Delete
  7. Hi Chris,
    I'm interested in AAPL, TSLA, GOOG, AMZN, PCLN, QQQ, CMG, NFLX, BIIB, LNKD, BBRY, HLF, JCP
    I'm also open to other ticks, I'm pretty sure you have better ideas.
    How do you make TOS to remember after closing the session the lines you draw for these numbers? Do I need to draw the lines every time I launch TOS?
    I really appreciate your support.
    peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can answer whenever you have time, no worries.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - sorry for the delay in replying - I only check comments every once in a while. I put together my likely suspects list earlier in the week and its almost the same as yours. I will tackle them in groups of 4-5 to keep the post reasonable in length. Look for the first post tomorrow 5/11. Take care,

      Chris

      Delete
  9. Hey Chris,

    This is really well done! I was just recently trying to reconstruct the levels used by JC and then I stumbled onto your blog and clearly see that you have already done it. So my many thanks and kudos to you for your hard work.

    Regarding the snow lines, the picture in your example shows the 23.6% level but the text suggests the 38.2% level. Which one is correct??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Risky Biz-

      Thanks for the question. The secondary voodoo levels come at 38.2% and 61.8% between the next higher level lines. I can see in the Facebook example above, I used 23.6% level which is clearly wrong, it should be 38.2%.

      Thanks again for the question and good trading,

      Chris

      Delete
  10. Hey Chris,
    Some time has passed. How has your ChrisVooDooElliot lines been holding up in the test of time?

    Thanks,
    JerBar

    ReplyDelete