Saturday, September 28, 2013

Meta-Trader - Forex Shutdown

Welcome back, Meta-Traders.

The time has come to shut down the bulk of my Automated Forex Trading operations.  As you know this blog was created to chronicle my experience with Automated Forex trading through the Meta-Trader platform.  After nearly 4 years, 263 blog posts, and countless hours spent coding, testing and analyzing Automated Forex Trading systems, its finally time to throw in the towel.

I suppose this post is a long time coming, but I wasn't quite ready to admit defeat.  After all, I have wiped out in Forex before, once with FXCM in 2007, then with Zulutrade in 2009 as chronicled on my prior blog ZuluTrade News and Views.  So this effort would be my third failed attempt to trade Forex and (as the saying goes) 3 strikes and you are out!

Early on in my journey, I met Daniel Fernandez from Asirikuy.com through is blog Mechanical Forex. Immediately I was intrigued by the science, the hard work and the degree of rigor Daniel put into his work. And it seemed entirely logical and responsible to believe that a trading strategy that worked with a good degree of consistency for the past 10 years would continue to work into the future.  After all, the proof was in the back-tester report, how can you argue with 10+ years of back test history?

So I went forward with a full degree of energy and enthusiasm and even created a 5-year plan for my Automated Trading career as found in my post Forex Trading - My 5 year plan.

So how did it go?

After a year a planning and preparation in 2010, I really went full guns in January of 2011.  Immediately things went well and I came out of the gate strong in January 2011.  In my Atinalla No1 account,  I gained a stunning 18% for the month of January and ended 2011 with a solid gain of about 16.78% for the year as reported in my post Meta-Trader - 2011 Wrap-up.

2012 was a rough year with my results chronicled in my post Forex Trading - 2012 Wrap-up.  As per my plan, I doubled my investment from 10K to 20K at the start of 2012, and ended up losing 26% for the year. This was a setback and I ended up closing 2 of my 6 accounts with about -$2000 of realized losses.  I went forward into 2013 with the 4 accounts and about 11K under management you see in the graph above.

2013 has been another rough year so far and I am down another 20% taking my total assets under management to just under $9000.  Most depressing is that my Atinalla No 1 account, one which still had a solid profit from the start ended up giving back its profits and grinding down to just about break even from the start as shown in the above graph.

Strictly financially speaking, it wasn't that much of a disaster since I kept my accounts to a small percentage of my total assets.  All told, I lost about -$5600 or about 25% of the total of 20K which I had invested at one time.  That includes the money I made in 2011 minus losses in 2012 and year-to-date losses in 2013.

To be completely fair to Daniel, he never promised riches in the area of Automated Trading.  The supposition of profit was something that I brought to the table.  He instead promised an education and understanding in the area of Automated Trading.

But Daniel himself seems to changed his opinion of Automated Trading in his recent post Long term profitable back-testing: No guarantee of future profitability. This post seems antithetical to the very point of Asirikuy.  Automated Forex Trading may be fun, but if it doesn't make any money, we can think of better things to do with our free time.

As for the fundamental reasons the systems failed, evidence seems to show period of bad performance for automated trading as shown by the Barclays Systematic Traders Index.  Perhaps is because of the distortions created by the extraordinary period of monetary easing being done by the US Central Bank as well as other Central banks around the globe.

As for Asirikuy I have canceled by membership.  I don't have any I'll feeling toward Daniel and on the contrary, I hold in him high regard and consider him to be a friend.  But as for trading, he doesn't seem to have found profitability and all traders struggle on the path to profitability.  Its as much a matter of finding out what doesn't work as what does. And (for me anyway) Automated Forex Trading hasn't only lost me money.

My plan going forward is to shut down the Atipaq Full Portfolio and Atinalla No 3 accounts and fund a new account with the Think or Swim platform.  More to come on that and enjoy your weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tcxmon,

    I already posted here perplexities that now paired with real losses led you to give up forex.

    I'm too a member of asirikuy and I acknowledge to Daniel all the good faith and capability. On the other hand money matters and it's a fact that among all traders that joined asirikuy, I don't know anybody who is carrying continuos and consisted profits: If they do exist, they are a very small percentage of all the community- As you say Daniel himself seem to have realized that it's terribly difficult to find an edge with our automated strategies. Most show results that are disappointing compared with the risk taken to trade them, others have reached their worst case and were retired from trading. In the latest period a new path seems to te a more concrete chance in asirikuy, namely ETF realms. By now I think to stay in this community full of enlightened minds to exploit this new possibility. But as you did I'm going to dismiss most of my current forex accounts that are slowly and inexorably loosing money wek after week to move them into ETF investment.

    Best regards,
    Rodolfo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodolfo-

    Thanks very much for reading and for the comments.

    I am glad to hear that Asirikuy is moving toward ETF Investing since I think part of the problem is Forex itself. For all its advantages, the "zero sum" nature of the trade means that no real value is created. Instead money just sloshes back and forth between either side of the pair, EUR/USD for example. And between times when important fundamental developments happen, the markets just slop around on low volume looking to take out stops. So this means that important breakouts are more likely to be thrown back during times of low conviction which further defeats automated trading systems.

    Contrast that with equities where wealth is actually created as stocks appreciate. And the US Fed and central banks are conspiring for higher equity markets with low rates and easy money policy.

    As for system trading, I did a lot of work on equity trading systems several years back and I found that what matters is not so much what system you trade, but the performance of the underlying. So I started to spend more time on the qualitative aspects - the properties of stocks that are performing well, and have good fundamentals, and buy technical breakouts in those stocks.

    Thanks again for reading the commenting and come back to hear about my future adventures.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog

    i saw you start in 2009, approximately same time as mine. Have not succeed yet in forex and stock.

    Will keep your blog read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Everyone,

    Below is a list of the most recommended forex brokers:
    1. #1 Forex Broker
    2. eToro - $50 min. deposit.

    Here is a list of money making forex instruments:
    1. ForexTrendy - Recommended Probability Software.
    2. EA Builder - Custom Indicators Autotrading.
    3. Fast FX Profit - Secret Forex Strategy.

    I hope you find these lists beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trading refers to buying and selling of stocks. However, in the global economy, Trading is not just confined to stocks. The interconnected economy paved the way to trade a variety of financial assets like online forex trading, crypto trading, commodities trading etc.

    ReplyDelete