Saturday, November 19, 2011

Meta-Trader - Tale of 2 Robots

Welcome Back, Meta-Traders.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times we might say about this past week. You'll see what I mean when I get to the Forex accounts. That said, it was a rough week and we look losses on both the Forex and Equities side.

The super-committee on deficit reduction deadline coming up on Monday loomed heavy on the markets with Republicans and Democrats as polarized as ever.

It begs the question, if the full House and Senate can't agree on how to reduce the deficit together, why would 12, highly partisan politicians be able to pull it off? What about the 'Sequester' automatic, across the board spending cuts? Will congress actually let that go ahead? It brings up a lot of questions, and that equals sell.

Europe did us no favors either this week, but it shines a light on the fact that things are pretty dysfunctional right here in the old USA, never mind what's going on in Europe.

My Amazon position turned against me. I failed to sell the calls last week at 9.60 as I planned, and the position turned hard against me and I'm down about 16 points. Ouch. Surgical Equipment maker Mako Surgical sold off hard and I took a hit on that as well. Double ouch.

On the bright side, my OIH 130 calls expired worthless and I collected $660 per account on that one. Offsetting that somewhat was my AKAM Nov 30 calls expired worthless, lost about $220 per account on that one.

Interesting development in OIH, the ETF is re-organizing and I have received an offer to exchange these shares and exchange them for new shares as of about mid-December. Important to note since I can't have any short calls against the shares during this transition. Pharmacy Benefit Manager SXCI continued to recover from its sell-off and close the gap.

As for the robots, let's go from worst to best.

Atinalla #4 continued to draw attention. On the bright side, the USD/CHF instance took a nice winning trade. On the bad side, I had a nasty string of 5 consecutive losses across Teycanani, God's Gift, and Sapaq. These system are supposed to offset each other, but instead they all lost as a team. I checked Asirikuy and this performance was matched across the other instances. That all added up to just over 11% lost in one week, nasty.

More importantly, I had a breakthrough on this account and that is the the starting balances are way off. I went through the systems and found that the starting balances are in the $2600 range. I never traded this account with that much money, so this seems like an obvious problem and is another reason why this account is getting crushed. More to come on this and another reason to stop any further trades until this is worked out.

Megadroid had a large losing trade and cut its yearly take from 16% to 9% in one fell swoop.

On the plus side was Atipaq Full Portfolio which gained a stellar 9% on the week and is up an impressive 51% on the year.

On the development side, FXDD paid me the 5% deposit bonus. What other business gives you a 5% up-front bonus on deposited funds other than the forex industry?

And that's enough for 1 week. Enjoy your weekend.

2 comments:

  1. MAKO bit it this week. I feel your pain. Would you take on MAKO DEC or MAKO JAN calls looking for a rebound or stay away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawgpac-

    Its important to note that while MAKO has revenue, its not yet a profitable company. So while is prospects look great, its vulnerable to anything unforseen that happens going forward. So i'm not likely to add any new longs here, may cut position size and hold onto some, we'll see.

    Take it easy and good luck!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete