Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meta-Trader - Watukushay Back-Test results

Welcome back Forex Fans.

In this post, let's review the back-test results of the Watukushay for Everyone Expert Advistor available for free here: http://watukushayfe.blogspot.com/.

This system is authored by Daniel Fernandez who runs a Forex trading blog over at http://fxreviews.blogspot.com/. Daniel is a prolific developer of Expert Advisors and is essentially a full-time system developer, blogger, web site manager and advocate for honest review and appraisal of automated forex trading systems. Daniel is also the author of the God's Gift EA's which I have been forward testing since the start of 2010.

There is a tendency to dismiss Daniel's stuff because its free - or at least very low cost. Also, the returns offered by his systems are much less spectacular than commercial EA's but (unlike many commercial EA's) have some chance of consistent results between back testing and trading forward in live and demo accounts. That's because Daniel designs his systems according to a strict set of criteria to ensure some consistency between demo and live trading results. For more information, go ahead and purchase his e-book which costs about $20 USD and includes his accumulated wisdom and a few EA's.

Anyway, the graphic in the top left shows my results for a 10-year back testing with a Risk setting of 5. I came upon a setting of 5 after finding the default setting (1) provided very low profit and low risk. To get more profit, but keep the total drawdown under 25%, I upped the risk settings to 5.

Based on my back-test, the system is having a solid performance in 2010 and is up almost 7% with a total drawdown just under 5% range. Over a 10-year period, the system had 2 losing years, but the losses were relatively small. The average 10-year profit was about 11% with an average drawdown of just slightly less than that. This puts it overall profit to drawdown ratio of close to 1.

I'm not satisfied with my backtest results since they don't seem to agree with Daniel's own results. I was expecting them to be a better than God's Gift ATR which had an average profit to drawdown ratio of 1.23. On the Watukushay site, Daniel references a gain to drawdown ratio more in the 1.4 range. I spend several hours testing difference account sizes (100K, 10K, 1K) unable to reproduce these results.

I also downloaded the Alpari US platform after a post by Daniel indicating that Alpari is the only broker that can be trusted for downloaded data. I was confused by a reference on the WFE site to a variable indicating whether the account is Mini or Full-sized since I couldn't find that in the properties if the EA. Also, the results from the Alpari site left me further confused since they showed losses year to date.

Once thing we can all agree on are the live results from Daniel's MyFxBook site for this EA which can be found here->

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/danielfppps/watukushay-fe/11962

As best as I can tell, the EA is up about slightly over 3% year to date based on results from a live trading. And a positive return is always a good thing in a market as trecherous as FX.

To summarize, Daniel's systems are the result a lot of study and testing and I continue to be intrigued by whether they can outperform commercial EA's that cost many times more. How will it work out? Stay tuned, keep reading and we'll find out!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,

    Thank you for your post and analysis ! :o) Your results are indeed in line with what I got. The discrepancy between your results here and the results on the expert's website is that I talked about simple interest over the initial deposit when I gave profit/risk targets, reason why profitability figures seem higher on my website (while you talk about yearly compound interest rate). Something which I may change now that you point it out.

    Indeed, I can confirm that your analysis is correct. Regarding back/live testing consistency, I am aware of this difference your talking about from 5% predicted by backtests to 3% profit in live results and I can say that it seems to be due to broker feed difference issues which I believe will ease out in the long term. The current number of trades is not large enough so I may wait until there is a statistically significant number of trades (about 50-100) before I do a back/live testing consistency analysis of all trades.

    I would also like to thank you for all your kind words :o) I definitely put a lot of work into my systems and I hope that they will show their potential in the long term where I believe most commercial systems will never get. Thanks again for the post and analysis Chris,

    Best Regards,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS : Also remember that the EA on the live account is run on a Risk = 3 so expected results are lower than for a Risk = 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel-

    Thanks for the comments and the confirmation that the back-test results look correct.

    The Risk=3 setting would indeed explain the differences between the live account and backtest.

    I realized that I also never got a good look at the other experts that come with the e-book:

    8and8_expert.mq4
    Advanced_ADX.mq4
    Trend_Finder_Daily_SMAFilter.mq4
    Turtle Trading System 2.mq4
    weekly_breakout_GBPJPY_final.mq4

    I'll have a look at those and post if anything looks better than Watukushay FE.

    Thanks again,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris,

    Thank you for your answer :o) Regarding the other systems, you may want to download an ebook update as many of those system have been eliminated or changed in order to accomodate new developments. In particular you may want to give Watukushay No.2 a try as it is one of the best systems I have developed up to date with excellent live trading results on several accounts in Asirikuy. The latest version of the ebook also contains detailed descriptions of the development of Watukushay No.1, No.2 and FE so you may be very interested in that part too.

    Some other systems like the weekly breakout have evolved into more sofisticated systems (this system turned into Kutichiy after a lot of reevaluation). The turtle trading system was also fully implemented, including portfolio rules into the Ayotl trading system. I haven't had the time to write ebook sections for these systwms yet so some of them are only available in Asirikuy.

    Thanks again for your comments :o) I hope you start using some of these systems if you like them !

    Best Regards,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I am forex-cat.

    Your article is always useful.
    Thanks.

    ...my blog:
    http://forex-chart-analysis-and-a-cat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,

    Below is a list of the highest ranking FOREX brokers:
    1. Best Forex Broker
    2. eToro - $50 minimum deposit.

    Here is a list of the best forex instruments:
    1. ForexTrendy - Recommended Probability Software.
    2. EA Builder - Custom Strategies Autotrading.
    3. Fast FX Profit - Secret Forex Strategy.

    I hope you find these lists beneficial...

    ReplyDelete